Community, fraternal, youth, veterans, religious, political, and civic Organizations and groups that have existed in Raymond:
- Juanita Lodge, Number 47, Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.). Existed from January 16, 1868- 1970’s(?)
- Alfarata Lodge, Rebekahs (Daughters of Rebekah). Associated with the Odd Fellows. Existed around the same the as the Odd Fellows in Raymond.
- Tucker Lodge, Number 99, Free and Accepted Masons (F.&A. M.) About 1900-present
- Raymond Grange, Patrons of Husbandry. Raymond Grange existed May 4, 1894- approximately 1976.
- Lamprey Lodge, Knights of Pythias (K. of P.). Existed from before 1892-sometime (likely a while) after 1900.
- Damon Association of (Pythian?) Sisterhood (associated with the K.of P.?) Existed in 1896, likely existed a bit after and possibly before.
- Junior Order of United American Mechanics (Junior O.U.A.M.) In Raymond in 1901. Still existed in 1903.
- Daughters of America (associated with the Junior O.U.A.M.) Founded in Raymond in 1901. Still existed in 1903.
- Raymond Lions Club
- Raymond Rotary Club
- Greater Raymond Area Chamber of Commerce. 1990’s-present.
- Women’s Civic Club. Existed prior to 1922 to after 1970.
- Raymond Garden Club. Existed from around the 1920’s or 1930’s until after 1976.
- Raymond Sportsman’s Club. Founded late 1950’s.
- Spacetown Beagle Club. Originally founded in East Derry (Spacetown) then moved to Raymond in the 1980’s. Existed from 1960’s?-present.
- Ray-Fre Seniors’ Club, Inc. Founded informally in 1968(?). Formally incorporated in 1970(?). Still presently in existence.
- Raymond Historical Society
- Weight Watchers group until around 2015.
- Alcoholics Annonomous (AA) (2 different groups- one at the Methodist Church, the other at the Congregational Church).
- Friends of the Dudley-Tucker Library
- Raymond Circulating Library Association. Prior to 1875 until at least 1892, possibly until 1907.
- Lamprey River Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization (PTO)
- Raymond Parent Teacher Association (PTA). There has been a PTA in Raymond since at least 1939.
- Raymond Education Association (teachers’ labor union)
- C.I.O. Labor Union (Shoe Workers)
- Boy Scout Troop 100 (Boy Scouts of America)- 1939-1958 and again 1962- December 31, 2010
- Boy Scout Troop 111. Existed from December 1, 1991 to December 31, 2010.
- Boy Scout Troop 101. Existed from December 2010-present.
- Boy Scout Troop 3. Existed from February 1, 2011-present.
- Cub Scout Pack 100. Existed from 1971-present.
- Venturing Crew 795. Existed from October 5, 2016-present.
- Fire Explorer Post 100. Existed from 1988-present.
- Police Explorer Post 435(?). Existed from late1990’s(?)-present-day.
- Girl Scout Troop 481 (existed 1962) also Brownie Troop
- Girl Scout Troop 10436 (Girl Scouts of the United States of America, GSUSA). Existed prior to 2013, still exists presently.
- Raymond Coalition for Youth
- Royal Rangers Outpost. Existed from likely earlier than 2008-after around summer of 2016.
- A.LE.R.T. (Air Land Emergency Resource Team) Cadets, New Hampshire First Bravo. Existed from 2014(or 13)-present-day.
- Columbian Squires
- Raymond Youth Athletic Association
- Raymond Soccer Club
Veterans’ and veteran Auxiliary groups:
- Women’s Relief Corps (W.R.C.) Associated with the G.A.R. Existed in 1900, likely existed a bit after and possibly before.
- Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) (Joe Hooker Post?) Existed in 1900, likely before and after.
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (John Cram Post?)
- Maple-Weadon Post, Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW)
- Ladies Auxiliary of the VFW
- American Legion Hurd-Welch Post 90
- Sons of the American Legion Squadron 90
- American Legion Riders
- United Veterans’ Club
- Pilgrim Men’s Group. 1950’s or earlier to 2015.
- Knights of Columbus
- United Methodist Women
Political and Voting Groups:
- Raymond Democrats
- Raymond Republicans
- Raymond Tea Party 2009-? May still exist, but largely inactive.
- Raymond Voter Information Project. Founded in 2008, still presently active.
- Raymond Taxpayers Association. Founded around 2007(or 8). Was very active until around 2011. Still exists, but largely inactive.
Raymond Town Fair:
Taken from “Town Fair Tidbits” in 2008 Raymond Town Fair Program of Events:
“While preparing this year’s Town Fair flyer, the committee came across some very old Town Fair booklets and flyers. We noticed that through the years, the program of events booklet had expanded from a one-page flyer in 1979 to the 5-page double sided booklet style that we currently use today. Many changes have also occurred to the events held at the fair as well. In olden days, when life was a little bit simpler and the streets were not so congested, each year the town held more of an “Old Home Day” or “Country Fair” type of summer event for the whole town. They sponsored woodsman’s competitions; horse-pulling events at the old tannery site, horse shoe competitions, pie eating contests, and real live band concerts.
“Through the mid 90’s, these events seemed to have faded away as the life styles changed within our town and surrounding towns. We were no longer a small rural community full of old New England Farms. The town grew significantly and shopping malls and store piazzas were the new rage. As the town evolved, so did the annual Town Fair. Today, the fair includes a more progressive midway with a classical small town feel. The non-profit fair booths, local craftsmen, and commercial vendors helped to fill the void left when the old farmers, who used to dominate the scene, died off or moved away.
“Today we still focus on the traditional programs that were the backbone of the fair like the Road Race, the entertainment on the common, the Fireman’s Parade, and the annual fireworks. Through the years many new be continued.
Raymond’s Post Offices:
- 1815- Raymond’s first postmaster is appointed.
- 1892- the store that held Raymond post office burns in the Great Fire.
- 1914- Raymond’s Post Office relocates to 74 Main Street in the same building that would later become the Catholic Church.
- 1942- The post office moved to what is today Longbranch Restaurant at 65 Main Street.
- 1965- as part of President Lyndon Johnson’s “Great Society” plan, Raymond receives a brand new post office building located at 77 Main Street. Photo BELOW.
- 1996- The post office moves to it’s current location at the Raymond Shopping Center on Freetown Road. BELOW at left. (Photo taken prior to Fall 2006).
Route 101 in Raymond:
Route 101 has held an important role in the commerce and history of Raymond for the past 80+ years. During this time the Route has had numerous alignments (roads signed as Route 101 over the years). Originally, Route 101 followed what is roughly today Route 27 with a few differences. Going west to east, the original alignment of Route 101 followed: Candia Road (now Route 27) until Dudley Road, which it followed until, Deerfield Road (current Route 107) (a right hand turn from Dudley Road onto Deerfield Road). Route 101 then followed current Routes 27 and 107 until Main Street which it followed until taking a left onto Epping Street at the Town Common. Epping Street was followed for its whole length. At what is now Mr. Gas (the current end of Epping Street) Route 101 followed current Route 27 east through to Epping (back then the section of Route 27 between the Modern end of Epping Street at Mr. Gas and the Irving light, that is the corner with Freetown Road, was known as Epping Street as well). In the later 1930’s or the 1940’s the state built the section of current Route 27 (then Route 101) between Main Street and Epping Street to bypass the center of town (this bypass of the center of town was called the “cement road” by locals; it was also known as Old Southside Road on some maps). At some point after that Dudley Road was bypassed by the segment of modern Route 27 (originally Route 101) that runs a little south of it. In the early 1960’s the section of modern Route 101 between Exit 5 and Epping was built, but back then it was only 2 lanes and undivided (this section was widened and upgraded to a divided Highway in the 1980’s). From the early 1960’s to the 1980’s Route 101 turned right at the Irving light and followed Freetown Road to what is now Exit 5, where it turned left onto modern (but at the time narrower) Route 101 toward Epping. The section of modern Route 101 between the Candia town line and Exit 5 was built in the 1980’s. Raymond has 2 Exits on Route 101– Exit 4 and Exit 5. The 1960’s to 1980’s alignment of Route 101 in Raymond (from the Candia town line to Exit 5) was designated as Route 101 Business from the 1980’s until around 2005. There are 2 sections of abandoned (not in use for any automobile traffic) roadway on former Route 101 alignments. The earlier one runs from just west of Colonial Drive, parallel to the current Route 27, as far as the Raymond Coin-Op (Langford’s Laundromat) a little to the north of the current Route 27. It is still paved in concrete (with lots of Moss and debris). The other abandoned former alignment of Route 101 is located just to the north of the current Route 101 freeway and Exit 5. This abandoned segment was built in the 1960’s as part of a 2 Lane, undivided mostly limited access highway section of Route 101 between current Exits 5 and 7. Most of the rest of this segment between these exits was widened and became the current Route 101 freeway, but this short 1960’s section near Exit 5 was bypassed during the widening because it curved north toward Freetown Road. This abandoned paved alignment of Route 101 is still out in the woods north of Exit 5 and still state owned.
Route 107 in Raymond: Deerfield Road, Freetown Road, Fremont Road. Route 107 connects Seabrook with Laconia.
Route 156 in Raymond: Nottingham Road.
Route 27 in Raymond: Candia Road, Old Route 101, Route 101 Business, Old Southside Road, Epping Street, Pleasant Street.
Route 102 in Raymond: Chester Road.
Information about Gile School(Raymond) taken from:
“The Gile School No. 6 Program” September 17, 1995-
“TEACHERS OF THE GILE SCHOOL
(Taken from Town Reports on file in theRaymond Historical Society Museum)
1855-56 Rosetta Wason of Chester – Summer Term
Rev. F.P. Heath and D.H. Brown- Winter Term
1856-57 Abbie Patton, Candia- Summer Term
S.F. Colcord, Candia – Winter Term
1863-1864 Annie L. Thompson, Candia – Summer Term
Fannie Harriman – Winter Term
1877-78 Olive B. Hazelton – 1st Term
Mat. E. Scribner, 2nd Term
Bessie Ladd – 3rd Term
1881 Mary J. Dearborn of Candia
1882 Frank Merrill- 1st Term; Lizzie Keenan, 2nd Term
1884-5 Lilla S. Walcott
1885 Mrs. Lilla S. Walcott Batchelder – Spring and Fall
1886 Abbie Pease of Newmarket -both terms
1887-88 Hattie A. Tucker – Summer and Fall (2 years)
1889 Amy Sanborn
1890 Carrie A. Whittier
1891 Laura Ladd, Epping – both terms
1892-3 Mary Scribner – 2 years
1894 Mary F. Scribner; Lulu B. Glines
1895 Florence Elliot, Effie A. Brackett
1896 Alice M. Beane, Eva D. Smith
1897 Mabel Steven’s
1898-00 Bessie Smith (3 years)
1901 Bertha Towle
1902-3 Annie Healey (2 years)
1904 Mrs. Lillian Byrne
1905 Lillian Byrne, Ruth Healey
1906 Arvilla (“Babe”) Thompson
1907-08 Bessie Bartlett
1908-09 Miss Elliot
1910-12 Nellie Hills – 2 1/2 years
1912-15 Harriet Healey – 3 1/2 years
1915-16 Rowena Woodward
A History of the Gile School
In the early 1800’s there were nine schools in Raymond. The Gile School was #6. It was located at the corner of what was then Old Manchester and Scribner Roads, NOW Scribner, Gile, and Onway Lake Roads. The land was donated by Gilman Gile to the Town of Raymond for school purposes.
The number of school weeks varied from two to twelve weeks. Studies included reading, spelling, penmanship, arithmetic, geography, grammar, history, composition, bookkeeping, physiology, algebra, and philosophy.
When the consolidated school was built, the one-room schools in town were closed. The Gile School was given to James Smith, a blind man, for the purpose of a store. It had served as a store, and for storage purposes for many years. In 1973 Norris Gove purchased it and gave it to the Congregational Church for storage purposes. In 1980 the Raymond Historical Society learned that the the Church was going to tear the building down. After some negotiations with the Church, the Historical Society found themselves the “proud” owners of a one-room schoolhouse- to be renovated and repaired for a museum. …to be continued.
Raymond’s other restored schoolhouse:
This was the old Grout/McClure/Dudley Schoolhouse. It was located on the corner of McClure Road and Deerfield Road(Route 107), not far north of Dudley Road. It was then moved to behind the old Fire House on Epping Street in Raymond center, around 1915. Around 1918, this school house was moved to a location next to the Raymond Consolidated School (modern Iber Holmes Gove Middle School). In 2005, it was moved out of Raymond to the Deerfield Fairgrounds, where it was restored. It had been under threat of demolition when they were building the new middle school in 2005, so the Deerfield Fair Association stepped up to save it. It is now known as “Raymond’s Little Red Schoolhouse”.
History of the Catholic Church in Raymond
(From St. Joseph Parish website.) “Raymond Mission was established in July, 1940. The first Mass was offered in a hall on the second floor of the building that was to become St. Raymond Church(74 Main Street), but the room was too small for the congregation. After that, Mass was offered in the I.O.O.F. Hall (Raymond Movie Theater), 62 Main Street. The land and building for the church was a gift of Mr. Louis H. Hamel of Bradford, Ma. in 1943. After appropriate renovations, the Church, named for St. Raymond of Penafort, was dedicated on June 24, 1944, by Rev. Msgr. Jeremiah Buckley. The Parish boundaries included Epping, Raymond, Brentwood, Fremont, and Nottingham.
St. Joseph Parish and St. Raymond Mission developed with separate parish programs, but this began to change in response to the directives of Vatican II Council. By the mid-1980’s, a Pastoral Council was officially organized, certain Parish committees were implemented, the Liturgy Committee and the Music Ministry took vital roles in planning religious services. A new Religious Education Program for the children of both Epping & the Raymond Churches was put into place and the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) was instituted. The Parish staff included lay persons.
In 1987, the Diocesan Office of Planning advised the Parish of population projections which would greatly increase the number of Catholic Families and the need to plan for the future of the Parish.
Under the directive of the Most Rev. Odore Gendron, Bishop of Manchester, with the leadership of Father Ronald E. Corriveau, Pastor, and the Pastoral Council, the Parish
considered the consolidations of St. Joseph & St. Raymond into a unified Parish with one Parish Complex.” This new building was built in 1990 and the old St.Raymond’s was sold.” It is now an apartment complex. St. Joseph/St. Raymond Parish is now located in Epping, NH. Saint Raymond’s Chapel in Saint Joseph’s Church in Epping has the stained glass window of Saint Raymond of Penafort (in picture above in old location) from the old Church in Raymond. The old St.Raymond’s Church was (and the building still is) located at 74 Main Street.
Raymond’s Original Charter- establishing the town:
|Anno Regni Regis George Quarto|
|Magno Britanno Franeio and Hibernia Quarto|
|(In the fourth year of the reign of George, King of Great Britain, Wales and Ireland)|
|An act for erecting a new Parish within the Township of Chester in this Province —|
|Whereas at a Town meeting held at Chester on the twenty sixth day of January, 1763 it was granted and voted that a part of said Township commonly called Freetown described in said vote might be incorporated into a new Parish as far as their consent was necessary and it appearing to be convenient considering the situation of the inhabitants —|
|Be it therefore enacted by the Governor Council and assembly that there be and hereby is a new Parish constituted erected and incorporated thereby —|
|The following bounds namely beginning at the Northeast corner of Chester upon the head line of Epping at a maple tree a boundary between Chester and Nottingham then runs South twenty nine degrees Westbounding partly on said Epping and partly on Brentwood to the Southeast corner of the lot number partly in said Chester as may appear by records of the of Chester then West Northwest so far as to contain the old hundred acre lots so called in said Township then twenty nine degrees East to the Southeast corner of Candia by and joining upon Candia to the line of Nottingham upon that side and by that line to the Maple tree where at that the same Parish be called Incorporated and Named the Parish of Raymond and all the Polls and Estates within limits aforesaid are hereby exonerated and discharged of all taxes and abatements existing when mentioned and excepted) on and to any other part of said Town and are hereby invested and enfranchised with all common privileges which other Parishes have and legally hold to likewise with all the legal power and authorities of other Parishes in this Province and may raise money for the necessary uses of the said Parish as any Town or Parish may legally do: succession and continuance forever.|
|And Samuel Emerson of Chester is hereby authorized to call the first meeting of said inhabitants for the choice of the necessary Parish officers and any other affairs they may deem proper at said meeting giving due notice of the time, place, and design of such meeting in the usual and customary manner in said Town.|
|Provided and excepting that the polls and estates and within said Parish shall continue to be taxes and assessed to the Province accounts as they have usually been until a new proposal of land rates shall be made among the several and Parishes in this Province.|
|Province of stamps|
|In the house of Representatives May 4th, 1764,|
|This bill having been read three times – voted that is pass to be enacted Henry Sherburne Speaker in council May 9th, 1764 this bill read a third time and passes to be enacted.|
|Thodore Atkinson June 1764|
|Consented to: B. Wentworth|
This is an example of a page. Unlike posts, pages are better suited for more timeless content that you want to be easily accessible, like your About or Contact information. Click the Edit link to make changes to this page or add another page.